Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Are you living or just existing?


Wow what a great weekend the weather was perfect, the riding was memorable and the people were great.
On Saturday I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity to do a 120km road ride from Melrose to Quorn, down the Pichi Richi Pass and back over the historic Spear Creek Rd (Paris Roubaix) before venturing into Horrocks Pass bruised, broken and my mind wondering from exhaustion; eventually I was picked up by my ride returning from Port Augusta as I grappled with the ascent to the top of the Pass. It was memorable for so man
y reasons, the tail wind for 60km to Quorn, the sun bursting through the clouds of the morning, the exhilarating descent of Pichi Richi Pass, the steam train at the level crossing in the pass, the torturous ride across Spear Creek Rd where I could examine the convict cobblestone construction minutely at the snails pace I was forced to take. But all the while I was thinking "this is living, how lucky am I!" The obligatory coffee was consumed and the ride story was embellished on arrival back into Melrose.

Sunday arrived with a completely different story, The Adelaide Sevens Rugby tournament. Being a Kiwi I am by and large a tragic rugby lover and this was the first opportunity I have had in a long time to enjoy live rugby and I wasn't going to miss a minute of it. Leaving Melrose at 5am after the clocks were turned back I arrived in Gawler to a very quiet house, breakfast was soon fried and consumed, the train was caught and suddenly there we were at the beautiful Adelaide Oval surely one of the nicest grounds in the World.
7s is action packed from woe to go so there was never a dull moment right up until the final whistle, when New Zealand won its first Adelaide title. Now this is living, naturally we finished the day with a curry.

When you've pushed the limit and you're on the edge, you see the world in all it's beauty, are you living or just existing?

No comments:

Post a Comment